Meroitic stelae and offering tables
In Memory of the late Nicholas B. Millet "The Meroitic inscriptions from Gebel Adda" were published in The Journal of the Society for the Study of Egyptian Antiquities, Volume XXXII, 2005, Toronto, Canada, pages 1 - 65.
At the end of the excavation seasons at Gebel Adda I stayed in Cairo for a few weeks and went to the Egyptian Museum to draw inscriptions. Seeing at this time that most of the Meroitic inscriptions were still packed up in heavy wooden crates, I was only able to draw a few stelae and offering tables which had been unpacked.
For the tracings of the inscriptions a translucent foile was used and all where drawn in scale 1:1. They where then re-drawn in ink, partly in Cairo and later in Switzerland. All inscriptions were checked by Dr. Nicholas Millet with the exception of GA 24 and GA 41.
GA 20 / 21
GA 19 ( photo by Martin Minns ).
GA 28 / a GA 28 / b
GA 29 ( photograph by Richard Edlund ).
GA 55 - 56
Sketch of the "Parkhan's Rock Inscription" at the mouth of Wady el-Ur.
GA 64 -1- 319
Drawings by our artists
1. Gebel Adda Storage House ( by Diane Nelson ).
2. Ottoman Superstructure ( by Richard Edlund ).
4. Impressions of Ballana ( by Diane Nelson ).
6. Drawing of a friendly Nubian ( by Diane Nelson ).
3. Impressions of Ballana ( by Diane Nelson ).
5. Impressions of Ballana ( by Diane Nelson ).
7. Beautiful Nubian Village ( by Diane Nelson ).